World

Pakistan prepares for upcoming peace talks despite US seizure of Iranian cargo ship

WASHINGTON, (AP):- Pakistan is preparing for a new round of talks between the U.S. and Iran to resume on Tuesday, even as U.S. President Donald Trump appeared to throw cold water on hopes for reaching an agreement to end the war. Trump told Bloomberg News on Monday that he’s “highly unlikely” to renew the ceasefire, which expires at 8 p.m. ET Tuesday (0000 GMT Wednesday).

On Sunday, the U.S. attacked and seized an Iranian-flagged cargo ship it said had tried to evade its naval blockade near the Strait of Hormuz. It was the first interception since the U.S. blockade of Iranian ports began last week. Iran’s joint military command vowed to respond, throwing the fragile ceasefire further into question.

Iran on Monday offered a new death toll for the war, with its forensic chief saying at least 3,375 people had been killed. His comments did not break down casualties among civilians and security forces.

Israel said it would join another round of talks with Lebanon in Washington, D.C., on Thursday. The ambassadors of the two countries met in Washington last week for the first direct diplomatic talks in decades. The Israeli official says the same representatives will join Thursday’s talks.

About the author
himalayanvoice

himalayanvoice

Himalayanvoice.com, an online news service under the Community News Network LLC, is a dedicated online news agency that fearlessly performs a balanced, truthful, and factual role in accordance with the values and norms of journalism, reporting national and world news in English and Nepali languages, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.

Himalayan Voice Newsletter

News delivered directly to your inbox

Subscribe for important headlines, community updates, and selected stories.

Leave a Comment